MARTHA MATTINGLY SCHOLARSHIP
The Martha Mattingly Scholarship is awarded to support professional development and leadership of early career child and youth care work professionals. Scholarship recipients may use the scholarship funds for professional engagement including the following:
- Attending meetings of professional associations or other leadership events;
- Attending national and international conferences relevant for child and youth care work professionals;
- Attending trainings, seminars, and other professional education programs which contribute to professional leadership;
Scholarships are available to child and youth care work practitioners in any country. Funding may be used to attend events in any location. Typically a person can be granted a scholarship once.
Each year the Mattingly Scholarship Committee designates an amount of funding that will be awarded in that year. In some instances only attendance at specific events will be funded. In other years, scholarships will be made available to fund events based on applicants’ requests.
Scholarships are granted based on:
- Individual merits of an application;
- Availability of scholarship funds;
- Committee’s decision as to what funds can be used for during the year the event occurs in;
Applicants must agree to write a brief (500 to1000 word) summary of their experience and how it contributed to their professional development. The summary may be used in future publications/postings relating to the Mattingly Scholarship Fund. The committee may approach scholarship recipients for permission to use their photograph in future Mattingly Scholarship promotional materials.
In 2017, one $500.00 scholarship will be awarded to attend the WACYCP Regional Conference in Milwaukee, Wisconsin on June 1, 2017.
Application deadline: March 15, 2017
Award decision by: April 17, 2017
To apply for a scholarship:
- Verify that funds are designated for the event you are interested in attending or that open funding has been announced.
- Complete and sign the Scholarship Application Form.
- Submit the contact information for two of the following:
- current or previous instructor(s) in post-secondary education program, and/or
- current or previous supervisor(s) or program manager/administrator(s), who can provide support for your professional competence, interest/expertise, and leadership in the child and youth care work profession. List on the application form the contact information of the two primary people who can be contacted to make recommendations on your behalf. Additional letters of recommendation can be included.
- Submit a current resume detailing relevant work history, education, previous awards, professional association memberships, and involvement in leadership activities within the profession.
- Attach a one to two page legible document (typed is preferable) responding to the following questions:
- What event do you want to attend?
- How is this event relevant to CYC practice?
- How will attending this event expand your professional development and/or leadership abilities?
- How will you use the experience to maximize its impact on yourself and your professional community?
- The Mattingly Scholarship may not provide adequate support to completely fund your attendance. What other sources of funding will you use so you can attend the event?
- The completed, signed application, narrative, references and resume can be sent to the Martha Mattingly Scholarship Fund by:
- Faxing to (979) 764-7307
- Mailing to: Martha Mattingly Scholarship, 1701 Southwest Parkway, Suite 113, College Station, Texas 77840, USA
Please submit your application and all supporting documents together.